Thursday, July 7, 2011

Music Festivals

It has been a very inspiring summer so far.  I was lucky enough to attend and perform at Chamber Music Midwest, a music festival in rural Wisconsin that was created by one of my most favorite people in the whole world, Clare Harmon.

We had such a wonderful time.  Not only did we get to play wonderful music, but we made some incredible friendships as well.  Moreover, Clare was kind enough to give me the title of "Composer in Residence" and I had one of my newest pieces premiered at the final concert.  We have also planned to give a recital at Drake University, where Clare will be taking a post next year as an adjunct professor of violin and viola.  It will be on August 14th and will feature my compositions played by some of the new friends that I've made through the wonderful thing that is Chamber Music Midwest.  I cannot wait!

Through this whole experience, I have been inspired to start my own music festival made up of good friends.  It will be called the Taneycomo Festival Orchestra and it will take place in my hometown of Branson, Missouri.  I am hoping that it will take place in the last 2 weeks of June as to prevent conflict with CMM and another friend's festival and to avoid the sweltering heat that is Branson in July.  I want to give 4 orchestral concerts, and I would like them to take place at The Landing, Silver Dollar City, and one other yet-to-be-decided venue.  In addition to the orchestral series, I'd like there to be a very busy chamber music series that gives a concert every day.  I imagine that with enough players to fill an orchestra, we should have plenty of chamber music as well.  Of course, no music festival would be complete without a series of fabulous parties at the ends of every concert.  I absolutely cannot wait!

It's unfortunate and strange that Branson does not have an orchestra.  After all, the town is one of the few in this country right now that is not broke, but prosperous.  It's an entertainment capitol, yet there is no symphony.  I believe that if this orchestra plays in accessible places where people are not required to be dressed and proper, then it will attract a wider audience and who people that the orchestra is not a thing that belongs only to the chic and wealthy, but can be enjoyed by anyone.

I've also arranged for the repertoire list to consist of a lot of classical heavy-hitters.  I'm hoping that people will recognize all of these tunes that they've heard forever and realize that classical music does not, in fact, put them to sleep.  I hate this excuse...they clearly haven't listened to much!

I'm hoping to include a lot of local musicians as well as my friends from around the country.  I will begin fundraising soon, and I hope to raise enough money to reimburse travelers for at least part of their travel expenses.  I will also arrange that traveling musicians stay with host families as to cut down on their room and board expenses.  Branson is ambiguously southern, but I do think that it exudes southern hospitality.

I hope that this will eventually inspire the city to establish a year-round sustainable symphony orchestra.  I would love to work with it, and ensure that it happens.  If a full symphony orchestra is established, then the festival orchestra can truly turn into a music festival--players from the symphony can be mentors for younger students and create a wonderful outreach program.

I never thought I'd end up in my hometown of Branson, Missouri.  However, if this festival evolves into the triumph that I hope it will, then I just might move back home.  It's so hard for clarinetists to find a job these days because there are so many of us!  I never wanted to "think outside of the box" about my career before...all I wanted to do was to become a professor, establish a great chamber ensemble, perform, and teach!  But this is so exhilarating to plan--it's not overwhelming, daunting, or frustrating.  I may have found my new "calling."  That is, it will be a new calling if there is a job in it for me.

Be sure to check out the website for the festival to learn more about how wonderful it's going to be:
www.taneycomofestivalorchestra.yolasite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment